Self-assign is the process of obtaining a desired exponent and worktype, and being assigned such by the PrimeNet server.
The steps to self-assign an exponent are (in order):
- The user chooses an exponent and checks for availability (by checking the status via a PrimeNet report).
- The exponent is placed in a worktodo.add file, along with the properly formatted worktype entry.
- The user causes Prime95 to read the worktodo.add file (usually by stopping and continuing the work in progress).
- The user then does a forced communication with PrimeNet. This will result the assignment of an assignment ID.
- The user then checks the worktodo.txt file for any exponent that does not have an assignment ID and removes them.